Monday, July 21, 2014

Seussical the Musical

Life in our house is always full of drama....and dance....and song....and just plain drama.  After all, any of you with girls in the house over the age of 10 know that raising girls comes with a little drama. However, in our house we have drama of the fun and musical variety too, because Hannah is a theater geek. YAY. I am totally living vicariously through my daughter. See many moons ago in a highschool in the middle of Farmertown, USA, a teenage me also discovered the love of theater. I will never forget how it began. Our Middle School had been invited to an afternoon production of the High School Musical, "Funny Girl".  We all went because we had to and didn't care what the reason or the result as long as we were missing classwork. I'd done a skit from Hamlet in 3rd or 4th grade or was it Macbeth? I was a witch - it was the one with "out damned spot" and it was required for English class. So I was ambivalent about this whole outing, but getting out of a math class makes everything just a teensy bit better.

Well, the girl who had the lead was really great and could really sing. I remember being mesmerized. I could not wait to be in highschool and star in their next production. Funny me, that I thought it was all that easy. I signed up to take drama as an English class, plus I was in the Drama club and was first in line for auditions. The play was Our Town. It wasn't a musical but I landed a part. I very tiny part with one line but I was in. The musical was "How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying". This was the tricky part...the singing. I love to sing and can sing well, but singing on a stage with people watching and not in the privacy of my room with my hairbrush microphone was something altogether different and horrifying. I sucked. So, I was cast into the the chorus without lines and yearning to be more and do more. It wasn't until my Senior year that Godspell was the play and I wanted the part of Sonja more than anything. Trouble was twofold. One I still had horrible stage fright and two, Sonja's song "Turn Back O Man!" was a belty Alto 2 - I sang an ethereal Soprano I. My chorus director, who was also the play's director advised me against trying to transition. Still, I loved the part and the song and the truth was the only Soprano I part was going to go to Marialena. She and I both sang well, but she would edge me out head to head and I knew it, so the best bet was to try and train my voice down.

I practiced for days. Singing the song over and over to the frustration and aggravation of my whole family, but it worked. I could belt the heck out of it and it was good. Still that whole stage fright thing was lurking. The audition day came and I stood center stage as the director and co-director stood below chatting. I could hear him discussing his concern for my vocal range and ability to pull off this audition selection which did nothing for my knocking knees. The music began and I croaked, "Turn Back"  -- Damn nerves go away - I thought. "Oh Man" -- another crack - crap C'mon girl you got this push those nerves out of your voice.  All the while, the director is shaking his head as if to say "See I told you." and is jotting notes like "she sucks" on his notepad. When out of my body comes "FORESWEAR THY FOOLISH WAYS!"  with all the verbrato and control - so much so that the walls shook with the echo and the director dropped his clipboard and stared jaw agape. I continued flawlessly and got the part. I also had a blast and went onto major in Drama in college. My love of drama continues despite my life taking me in directions far from Broadway or Hollywood.  (Picture - me in the red)

Still, Hannah started theater at camp several years ago, and continues to develop her acting skills and her vocal abilities. It just makes me so proud. This year they did Seussical and Hannah's part was Mrs Mayor. She rocked and although a tad disappointed that she didn't have a bigger part, since this is her last year as a camper, she still did a stellar job. She had a great lesson too in the realities of life. Sometimes, you don't get what you want but you still have to work as a team to complete a job. Theater is a great equalizer. It has taught her grace and compassion and tolerance, not to mention timing, musicality and teamwork. And good old mom can cheer her on while  having fun reliving the good old days watching her. Will she be the next young star on TV or movies or Broadway? Who knows? Even if it is just school and camp fun, it will be some of the greatest memories ever. (Pictures - she in the red)



No comments: